¡HACK ALERT! Millennium is a great ILS…. and it is also immensely frustrating to use as a cataloger in so so many ways. It doesn’t seem to be long for this world (Berkeley is going whole hog into the UC system-wide ILS search), so this post presents a kind of à propos band-aid-hack that I have been using for a couple of years to get around some statistics limitations in Millennium.
This is the long, rambling, basically unedited text of a presentation I gave at the 2018 Association of Moving Image Archivists annual conference in Portland. The panel was shared with Susan Barrett, who discussed ways to secure buy-in from administrators and other important stakeholders when proposing open source projects. Our panel was part of the Open Source Toolkit stream at the conference. You can find the slides here. Also the panel was live streamed and recorded.
I recently had a chance to work with a collection at BAMPFA that I find really fascinating and that is definitely under-utilized (and also basically undiscoverable at the moment). We have a collection of audio recordings going back to the 1970s that is described in disparate data sources including a paper card catalog (fuck yeah!) and I took a deep dive into merging and normalizing these sources. Here’s the Github repo that includes the scripts and data sets I used.